[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Backgammon rules

Posted By: joe freedman
Date: Wednesday, 17 March 2010, at 3:48 a.m.

I hope to be forgiven for posting this in a new thread, but it goes beyond the issue raised in Barry's post.

I'm all for clarity in rules, but absolute clarity in rules has proved an elusive goal in more than one area of human endeavor. Like laws in general, rules will work best if they reflect prevailing norms and practices, and do not attempt to establish new, controversial norms. (Such as -- no rolling the first die until your opponent has the other die in his cup)

Even the most unambiguous BG rules, even if handed down on tablets from Mt. Sinai, would not prevent all cheating. Rules should reduce vulnerabilities to cheating, but they also should not destroy the natural rhythm and flow of the game.

Yes, we need to bring new players to the game. Is this best accomplished by developing and enforcing a complex set of counter-intuitive rules? Or, is it by developing rules that are condusive to a friendly, and FAIR atmosphere? Is it fair for a player to have the option of condoning an inadvertent illegal roll? Is it fair to have the option of allowing a fast roll to stand or not, depending on the value of the die? My guess is that all but veteran BG players would say no.

I understand that these rules were developed in order to discourage fast rolling. They might arguably be considered fair for experienced players in Open or Masters events, although even then it tends to discriminate against older and less experience players, and may hence decrease the size of the field. But it makes absolutely no sense to insist on those type in events below the championship level.

If we want to discourage participation by new players; casual players; in short, anyone participation by anyone other than readers of this forum -- the best way to do it is to apply and enforce draconian, arbitrary rules that experienced, ethically-challenged players can enforce against hapless , slightly confused opponents. (And I do appreciate that many top players are classy enough not to enforce them.) Oh, and be sure to add to the fun by requiring touch move and decrease the allotted time.

I know these rules have been developed by smart, well-meaning people, with the intent of curtailing various abusive practices. But for every Gaby Horowitz, there are probably 50 slightly confused players who, after being penalized for various innocent but technically illegal plays, leave the tournament with a bad taste in their mouth, and are not in a hurry to come back. Complex rules, especially those which can be enforced at the option of a player, encourage sharp practice. There are other means of deterring abusive practices. (In the case of a fast roll, it should be enough for the opponent to be able to play with knowledge of what the roll is.)

I probably haven't said anything new here -- but was moved to post this by recent posts advocating increasing regimentation in tournament play. I know it can be messy, but the cure could easily be worse than the disease.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.