[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Questions about swiss tie-break in backgammon tournaments

Posted By: Mislav Radica
Date: Sunday, 21 March 2010, at 8:13 a.m.

I have few questions about swiss backgammon tournaments for tournament directors or other players who know this topic.

We in Croatia Backgammon Federation - CBgF started to run swiss tournaments but have some doubts, so please help us with your knowledge and experience.

My questions are:

1) Which criteria should be used in swiss tournament as tie-break when people have equal numbers of wins?

2) What do you think what is better: random draw or some ranking list like elo for 1st round pairing?

4) Are you think that score in matches are totally irelevant in backgammon and should not be used as criteria at all?

3) Which program do you use on your tournaments for swiss and can you recommend one (free or sharware)?

Thank you very much for your help.

For one swiss tournament we used online software challonge.com It is very easy to use and looks cool and it is free. Take a look if you have time. Recommended.

It used following for swiss tie-break: (I think it is not enough. For example, for 12 players tournament and 5 rounds we have three players with 4-1 score and 2nd and 3rd players were tied on first two criteria so ELO ranking for 1st round seed decided. Not so happy solution.)

"Swiss Tie-Breaking"

"CHALLONGE! primarily uses the Median-Buchholz system for breaking ties. The "tie-break score" displayed in the results table is the sum of a player's opponents' scores, with the best and worst scores discarded. Should players be tied by score and tie-break score, they are sorted based on their records relative to one another. Seed breaks up any remaining ties."

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.