[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Rollouts of Robertie's 501 problems: Final pass complete

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Thursday, 25 March 2010, at 1:54 a.m.

A few months ago, I made a preliminary announcement that I had posted rollouts for positions from Robertie's book of 501 Essential Backgammon Problems. Most of these rollouts were my own but some were courtesy of Stick. I also said that I was going to make a final pass through the book to extend some rollouts and catch anything that had slipped by Stick and me the first go-around.

I have now finished that final pass and consider the project complete. During the final pass, I did indeed find some things of interest. For those who have a copy of Stick's rollouts, you should note that Stick entered positions 284, 417, and 424 incorrectly into the computer. Also, in Stick's summary chart, he marked positions 120, 129, 228, and 368 "Correct" when they should be marked either "TCTC" or "Wrong." These four positions are all quite interesting, but I think that by far the most interesting one is Position 129, shown below. On the first pass through, neither Stick nor I bothered to roll out the play that finally came out on top. Even with the benefit of QF, you deserve a pat on the back if you can figure out the play that wound up topping the rollout. I'd be curious to know if XG agrees with GNU here.

White110

2X '3X1O '2X2O3X2X1X '4O

'1O1O '1X4O '2O '1X ' '

Blue154

Position ID: c8wtCAKKZ/BgBA Match ID: cIkVAAAAAAAA

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.