[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Final Cleveland Update

Posted By: Paul Weaver
Date: Sunday, 28 March 2010, at 11:44 p.m.

In a touching scene, David Rubin and his son Lyle won the championship event and novice event, respectively. Lyle is twelve years old and will be a strong competitor in the championship event very soon. Great to see young folks taking up backgammon.

Ray made it to two finals, but was 0-3 on the final day of the tourament.

I had breakfast with Sean Garber and John O'Hagan. After Sean mentioned that he works for UPS, we had a stimulating, edifying and uplifting conversation about ladies who mail packages to themselves, wait for the UPS guy to show up and then answer the doorbell wearing nothing but lipstick and a smile. Within minutes of this discussion, Sean was well on his way to defeating Ray in the finals of the jackpot event.

Sean reached three finals in Pittsburgh and duplicated the feat here in Cleveland. He won the Thursday night warm-up, was second in the doubles (Dan and Dave Kiurski beat John Jennings and Sean) and won the jackpot.

John O'Hagan reached two finals in Chicago but lost them both. Ray did the same in Pittsburgh. David Rubin lost in the first round and then won eight in a row to win the tournament. After O'Hagan won eight matches in a row in Chicago, there was extensive debate on this Web site among probabilists about the probability of someone winning eight in a row. As I recall, we concluded that the chance is very slim, about 1/8, of winning eight in a row.

Gary Bauer won his second consolation in a row (Chicago and Cleveland), beating David Rockwell in the finals.

I lost in the semifinals of the consolation to Dave Rockwell. I have witnesses who can confirm that I reached the "Penis Position" during this match, with one checker on the 1pt, five on the 2pt and one on the 3pt.

Finally, Doug Roberts' contribution to the tournament was informing us that the Dalai Lama asked the hot dog vendor to "make him one with everything."

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.