[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Are Advanced Round Entries Fair?

Posted By: Bob Glass
Date: Wednesday, 31 March 2010, at 8:03 p.m.

Let me give an extreme simplified example. Suppose there is a 32 player jackpot event. Suppose there is one superstar whom we shall name Superstar. Suppose all the remaining players are average. Suppose Superstar wins 70% of his matches against average players. Suppose there is no rake. Suppose the entry fee is $1000. Suppose only 17 players wish to enter including Superstar. Superstar says to the director, "I'll give you $16,000 for the bottom half of the draw." Director accepts offer. Suppose event is winner take all for $32,000. The way I see it, Superstar's equity is $22,400 which is .7 * 32000. Consequently, the other 16 players have $600 equity for their $1000 investments (9600 / 16). If the average player's equity is diminished by allowing Superstar to enter in the final round, then as a corollary, isn't Superstar's equity enhanced by this arrangement? Does allowing different round entries violate the principal of a random draw?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.