[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My new "Rollout Machine" is here

Posted By: neilkaz
Date: Friday, 16 April 2010, at 12:00 p.m.

I couldn't resist the new 6 core HT i7-980X chip which is 12 effective CPU's for XG or GNU. Once again I purchased from Digital Storm and this time since I really wanted to max out the overclock I splurged for their "Stage 4" cooling, with is some serious watercooling for the CPU.

The computer arrived a couple days ago and it was clear to me that DS's tech didn't do the overclock optimally (these chips are brand new) so I asked a few questions online and did lots of online research (gotta use the BSEE for something) and now have the overclock set to 4.5 GHz (stock is 3.33 GHz) and things seem stable and with room temp here being 21.5C at the moment and XG cranking with a 4 ply RO, my core temps are running in the 60's and at times the two cores that run hotter hit 70C. This is 10C cooler than what my other system (overclocked i7-920 @ 3.883 Ghz) runs and I have no issues running that 24/7.

Xavier made a mod to the XG calibration testing method so I can get a more accurate calibration and it averages 3.95 million/sec !! Also as a point of reference I had XG run a RO, 1296 games normal 3 ply for the opening 21 slot and it completed in 3 min 49 sec !

So I now have a true state of the art computer to best use a true state of the are BG program to analyse and play. I play practice matches vs XGR+ and it often moves really fast now, sometimes so fast that I have to tell myself to slow down and think.

Cost for my new tool...well $3700 delivered. That is for just the computer and no accessories. It does have somewhat more of a video card than really needed just for BG and my motherboard may be a bit more than needed, so one could likely drop the cost a couple hundred bucks.

Well I recall back in the later 1980's spending $4000 to upgrade from a 1 Mhz 8086 system to a 33 Mhz 386 so.....things have come a long way.

.. neilkaz ..

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.