[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

One of the stranger positions I've faced lately

Posted By: Fabrice Liardet
Date: Thursday, 27 May 2010, at 8:08 a.m.

In Response To: One of the stranger positions I've faced lately (Timothy Chow)

Each player is going to try and play into his own strength. In that regard White's plan is the clearer : fill the 5-point (this is well worth slotting it since the risk is small), hit a checker or two and sneak the back checkers through Blue's points while Blue dances. Against that Blue can have two plans : (A) never getting hit, or (B) reinforcing its outfield and completing his would-be prime, so that White's task of extricating the checkers becomes not trivial. This involves getting checkers in range of Blue's outfield, and when possible unstacking the 6-point for recirculation. Never getting hit seems way too optimistic here, so I would lean strongly towards plan B (but it is not useless to keep in mind that winning the race is an option if the opportunity comes).

The only sure thing it says about the present move is that entering on the 20 is out of the question. Slotting the 5 is exactly what White wants to do anyway. With the five, 18/13 and 6/1* are both according to plan. 6/1* gains the immediate advantage of slowing down White making the 5-point, and is not too risky. The problem with it, as others said, is that it is much more committal. I don't know which one is correct.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.