[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

One of the stranger positions I've faced lately

Posted By: Rich Munitz
Date: Thursday, 27 May 2010, at 3:00 p.m.

In Response To: One of the stranger positions I've faced lately (Timothy Chow)

Bar/24 is clear for the ace. Where's the 5?

In spite of white having 6 checkers back here, blue's racing lead is not very large. And blue regardless, blue is unrealistic to think all those checkers will be brought safely home without getting hit. Blue is very inflexible with a big stack on the 6 point that really needs to be put into play somewhere. Yet, blue's prime is the best asset he has and the strategy should be to hold it long enough for white to roll something uncomfortable. White is poised to make additional defensive points or even worse, to make his 5 point. With all of blue's stripped points, 18/13 accomplishes nothing productive aside from pushing a checker around the board. It does however, strip the 18 point in case hitting next turn is desirable. Everything here points to unstacking the 6 point 6/1*. Just not a big deal to get hit back on the ace point. Probably a good thing in fact. Is 13/8 safer? I count 15 hitting numbers; 11 that don't require white to give up the 20 point anchor. Given the long, complicated game ahead, and the very inflexible position, I favor the unstacking and tempo play.

6/1*

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.