[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

43Z-66B-41 and 41S-66B-43

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Monday, 7 June 2010, at 7:28 p.m.

1O ' '1O '5X2X3X ' ' '4O

' ' ' ' '5O2X3O1O ' '3X

43Z-66B-41

1O1O ' ' '5X2X3X ' ' '4O

' ' ' ' '5O2X3O1O ' '3X

41S-66B-43

I'm following up on my May 30th post (linking here in case the thread isn't automatically reintegrated).

In 2002(?), Paul Weaver wrote an excellent article entitled Which Five Point is Better?, as yet unpublished, but I think he plans to do so after modernizing his data. I was privileged at the time that Paul shared both the article and the Snowie truncs (truncated rollouts) with me, and the best plays for 43Z-xxx-41 and 41S-xxx-43 have been indelibly etched on my brain.

In part for 8pt-6pt distributional reasons, and in part because the 21pt checker is already more advanced than the 23pt checker, it is usually right to make one's own 5pt with 43Z-xxx-41 (though xxx = 66B as shown above, left, is an exception), and it is even more usually right to make the opponent's 5pt with 41S-xxx-43 (as it is when xxx is 66B as shown on the right -- by .085 according to trunc).

On the left, Blue should anchor (make Opp's 5pt): for money it is right by .026 according to trunc, and of course at GS it is even clearer. However, at GG and DMP, the truncs side with making one's own 5pt.

On the right, Blue should anchor at all four scores except GG; at that score the trunc likes making one's own 5pt (though not by much).

Christian originally posted the left-hand position (also repeated below) here as from a match, evidently played by Neil based on his comments here), and Neil says he will be posting a 4-ply RO at that -7-11 score probably in a few hours. I would be very surprised if making the 5pt does not win his rollout easily. With scores reversed (-11-7) it would be closer.

Nack

1O ' '1O '5X2X3X ' ' '4O

' ' ' ' '5O2X3O1O ' '3X

43Z-66B-41 at score of -7-11

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.