[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Meyer Dice Tube

Posted By: Stick
Date: Friday, 30 July 2010, at 12:54 a.m.

I am only going to say it once in this post and expect everyone over the spectrum of rants and raves about bg related stuff to have read this post. They won't have so kindly link anyone that needs it in the future to the beginning of this post. I applaud anyone who tries to make improvements (or what they see as improvements or possible advancement for the game) in any facet of the game of backgammon. That includes for example tourney directors who hold tourneys with perhaps a new or unconventional format, this includes Phil Simborg who wants baffle boxes introduced more heavily to the game, this includes Frank Berger who created BGBlitz that never really took off but still an important stepping stone, this includes the many authors or writers who release articles or books that I will mock and ridicule for how they produced them, and on and on and on.

It's always easier to criticize than applaud someone's effort because it's easier to pick out what's wrong with something than to see what is right with it. I am sending out one big golf clap to all these people before I start ragging on their ideas and saying everything that I see is wrong. I will not try to go through the countless things these people have done right with their tournament or their article or their product, I will blast on what's wrong with it, why it's wrong, and expect them to see it as positive feedback regardless of how negative it will sound. People tend to be very defensive when they feel they or something they created or endorse is attacked but I mean none of it in such a way, I mean it as assistance in making whatever it may be even better. I hope my comments, suggestions, and ridicule can be seen in that light.

On to my first rant of many that I have lined up when/if I get the time. I've been busy traveling and will be again shortly so the amount of posts of this nature that are backed up in my head will make for good forum discussion. First on the list is the Meyer Dice Tube.

I've seen it in action, I've used it, I've read the claims on the site. Here are my issues with it.

speeds up the game by completely eliminating re-rolls due to dice bouncing off the board or over the bar, landing on checkers, or due to cocked dice

Flat out lie. It's true that no dice will bounce off the board nor over the bar nor even land on checkers, but in using this contraption I estimate I cocked my dice at least as many times as I would have using a regular set of dice. I was assisting Bob Koca trying to verify that it was truly random (more on that later) and I started counting how many times I cocked within' how many rolls. I honestly forget the figure compared to the amount of rolls, perhaps Bob remembers, but I believe I exceeded cocking the dice in the tube 10 times in perhaps 200+ rolls? I wasn't trying to cock them, I was flipping it over with one hand and putting on the table exactly as you're supposed to.

forever eliminates dice hitting a checker, knocking it out of position

Umm...what? Has anyone here ever seen a die knock a checker out of place? Some damn hefty dice are being used or some airy checkers.

completely eliminates any possibility of dice-cheating

LoL!

guarantees a random roll every time

Does it? Prove it to me then. Nowhere do I see tests of showing that by using the tube will I be assured of random rolling. If I was going to try to market such a product I would have done my homework and put my homework out there for all to see in its glory along with recommendations on how others can verify its randomness also.

We also accept the fact that dice sometimes hit one or more checkers on the board, knocking them out of position. When this happens, a dispute may follow as to where the checkers were before being hit. Unfortunately, it is also a fact that some dishonest players have developed dice-rolling skills that give them an unfair advantage over honest rollers

Again refer to my aforementioned "Ummm...what".

The design of the Meyer Dice Tube guarantees an absolute random outcome every time!

Refer to my prove it please again.

t is recommended that after you flip the tube for your roll, you place the tube on the table so that it is closer to you than your opponent, so there's never any confusion about whose turn it is. Once the dice have settled and you've made your move, you tap the top of the tube with your hand. Tapping the tube means your play is over (just like tapping a clock button after a move). Your opponent then grabs the tube, flips it over and sets it on the table (closer to him), and play continues.

This is a big part of what I hate. Every turn I have to reach clear over to my opponent's side of the board, bring the tube back, and flip it over. You may be thinking "Well, you have to reach for the dice on the board or even on the other side of the board if playing a clocked match, isn't it the same?" No, it is not. Another thing I hate is that as a spectator it's tough to decipher whose turn it is. Sure, the tube may be on someone's side of the board barely, so when I come over I have to figure out what side it's on and that's whose turn it is and now I can see what they're thinking about ... or can I?

The great part about dice on a board is that they're dice ... on a board. In plain view for many onlookers to see. If you try to see the dice in the bottom of the tube you end up contorting yourself for the best angle constantly and I can't even imagine if there was a crowd of people trying to watch a match how many of them would be able to follow.

Now we come to the turn ending 'tap'. Again you may be thinking you have to hit the plunger of a clock for your turn to end, along the same lines right? No, perhaps not even the same ballpark. When you hit the plunger of a clock typically you can do it with some force, your hand is letting gravity take its due course and bam, turn over. You can be off by a little bit, your fat hand will make sure to find its mark. With the Meyer tube you have to give this little puffy tap clear on the top of the tube, a light tap lest it fall over, and you're stretching constantly every turn to reach the tube, turn the tube, hit it again to end your turn. It's too much in my opinion.

It wears me out just thinking about playing with a clock and this dice tube. Imagine every turn reaching over to grab the tube, bringing it back to your side of the table, making your play, then hitting the clock on the other side of the table. I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it.

Perhaps part of my bias against this stems from my same hatred of baffle boxes. I don't see the need and I find them a detraction from the game. If precision dice are being used, if lipped cups are being used, if the rules are being followed there is little or no use for these gadgets.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.