[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

"Bold at Gammon Save -hypothesis"

Posted By: 6stones
Date: Friday, 30 July 2010, at 6:56 p.m.

In Response To: 52 @7a-5a (Dmitriy Obukhov)

The match score (7-a, 5-a) might be a totally irrelevant factor here as for choosing the best play.

In my recent (and rather limited) studies of checker play at score I have noticed some recurring tendencies, one of which might be worth mentioning here.

I call it

"Bold at Gammon Save -hypothesis" :

If at Gammon Save score (1-away 2-away, Crawford) it is correct to hit loose instead of a 'safer alternative', then it is highly likely that the same play is

correct at GG, DMP and scoreless money play ( + Stronger formulation: , and in any other specific score, eg. 3-away 2-away, 2-away 4-away etc.).

Can someone provide counterexamples for this, please?

(BTW, conversely there is Safe at Gammon Go ...)

Now, I would like to approach this checker play decision by resorting to this hypothesis: if this were GS, would it be best to

hit loose here, and if the answer is 'yes', on the basis of the above assumption, the same play would be correct at any score.

But is hitting loose here right at Gammon Save? Well, surprisingly often taking risks pays of at GS, and it is an erroneus attitude to think

"find the play that loses least gammons".

So let us go for double hit.

If it is right at GS, is there any score (plus cube value) in which other play would be correct here? I doubt.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.