[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Servers Dice and Such

Posted By: W Womack
Date: Sunday, 1 August 2010, at 7:27 p.m.

This is going to be a fairly long post but I thought it better to group all of this in one place as only some people will be interested.

With several WC players signing up for the WarpGammon Esprit Tournament there has been some discussion on the Warp Forums about servers. Evidently several of these players refuse to play on SHG, which is probably the most commonly used server for Warp. GridGammon has generously offered memberships at no charge for Esprit, but some players are balking at providing the level of personal information needed to get a GG account. I saw it as an opportunity, but no matter how great it is I will never be able to justify the standard $150 year membership for GG.

But that raises several questions:

While the SHG interface may have some flaws it does not seem to be that bad. What is the basis for refusing to play there?

Is there a server that meets the following criteria:

Free sign-up without detailed personal information No restriction on match lengths and log saves for free accounts. Fast enough, "clean enough" and has a good enough interface and reputation that there would be no good reason to refuse playing there (at least for a non money event like Esprit)?

I have bumped into a couple of other Warp Players that will not play at SHG because they think the dice are "fixed." Since the original doubles issue on SHG there has been a lot of analysis of the dice. MPetch collected over a million rolls and found no issues. I personally have 115,00+ rolls from SHG in my XG profile and can find no issue. One player I ask about this said they thought that the luck analysis was too high and that is why they think the dice are fixed. Disregarding that they presented no solid data for this I wonder if you could really use the luck rating from the bots as a measure of dice "quality" If I understand it correctly the luck measurement is based on equity swings, so trying to base any dice analysis on this seems extremely difficult. What is a lucky roll in one case may not be in other cases, so it is really as much position dependent as dice dependent. Is there a way to legitimately use the luck factor to test the dice?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.