[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Buying a new used car - OT

Posted By: Stick
Date: Friday, 13 August 2010, at 10:05 p.m.

After my glorious wreck last year returning from an ABT event where I totaled my car by slamming a cement wall doing 70 mph and escaping unscathed (eat it last longer bettors) I have finally got off my ass to get another car. I know next to nothing about cars other than what I pick up every time I go to buy another one in my 30 minute reading spree of what to look for when buying a car.

I am looking for a used car as I've proven over the last year I really don't need a car. I can walk to the bars, to the grocery, and if needed on weekends for ABT events I can rent one cheap enough. I travel so much all getting a car is going to do is have me worry about it getting towed for being parked in the same spot on the street for over 3 days or get towed for being there during street sweeping. Anyway, I've decided to suck it up and get one.

All I want is a car, nothing fancy, preferably under 100k miles, automatic, can live with a 4 cylinder but would really prefer a v6, cruise control, and not some horrid color. (gold, neon blue, white, etc...) I was rather unsuccessful looking in the price range I had in mind, perhaps I thought I could get an ok car cheaper than what reality is. I spent about 14k on my last car (I think) and this time only wanted to spend between 6-9k, but flexible. Again, something that runs that doesn't look like trash.

I have one car I'm considering, a 2005 Chrysler Sebring Limited Coupe. As you can see in the link, looks like it fits my ballpark. It has only 75k miles, looks decent, v6, price is fine. What you can't see from the pictures alone is: on the driver's side in the middle of the door there is a minor 'ding' (you can actually see it if you enlarge the driver's side pic on the link provided). More importantly what you also can't tell from the pix is that the car is started to fade/rust. I don't like the word 'rust' because it's not rusting, but I don't know what it's called. It's worse on the roof than the hood or the trunk, but you can still see it creeping in and it has only been 5 years. I don't know how fast this will progress and whether I care or not or what it's worth towards the value of the car. That's my biggest hitch in whether or not to buy it.

The car is listed for $7k and without any problem really they were down to $6k before I walked out the door. Anyone out there know enough to speak up and give advice?

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.