[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Handling illegal moves in GNU

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Monday, 16 August 2010, at 2:52 p.m.

The score (after 11 games) is: The Other Guy 7, Jason Lee 13 (match to 15 points)

Move number 49: Jason_Lee to play 44

The Other Guy156

2X3X3X ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '1X

2X3O2X6O1O1X ' '1X ' ' '

Jason_Lee35

Position ID: uwMIETPOLwAAAA Match ID: cAnyAXAAaAAA

• Jason_Lee moves 5/off 4/off(3)

Alert: unlucky roll! ( -0.533)

# Ply Move Equity
1 0 4/off(4) +1.162
0.811 0.573 0.189 - 0.189 0.000 0.000

While playing a practice match the other day, I cleverly rolled a number which left a double shot but didn't leave the double shot by quickly and illegally playing 5/o 4/o(3). Only afterwards, when looking at the video, did I realize the mistake -- this was just for funsies, so we play legal moves.

For a long time, I thought GNU just couldn't handle illegal moves well. The instructions online tell you to make a legal move, use EDIT, and then change the position to what actually occurred. The problem with this is that once you EDIT a match, there is no way to export to .mat or to html.

(I'm using GNU only because it is slightly easier to enter a match for me with it.) So, knowing that illegal moves are implemented in XG, I decided to enter the remainder of the match in XG. When finished, I then exported the match (with the illegal move) to .mat and imported that into GNU. Lo! GNU is happy with a match file that has an illegal move!

On more than one occasion in the past, the illegal move problem has been quite a quandary, and it never really needed to be. Even without using XG, I always could have exported to .mat, edited the file to have an illegal move, and then reimported.

JLee

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.