[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

3-away X-away cube actions

Posted By: David Rockwell
Date: Tuesday, 17 August 2010, at 4:55 p.m.

I have been following Stick's rule about doubling at 3-away (6 or more away) for a while now and have been very pleased with the results. I'm not making big mistakes like I used to make all too often.

Something occured to me today as I was composing a column. The trailer has enormous cube leverage after taking a cube at this score. That is at least true in positions with significant contact. (Stick's rule wasn't intended to be applied to non-contact positions.) When playing a world class opponent, one can expect to receive these strong recubes more or less consistent with theory. However, I believe that most weaker players would adjust their recubes little, if any, for the score. When I say weaker, I am thinking about third and fourth quartile Championship level players - opponents all of us would face in ABT main events.

So, here is my question. When playing weaker opposition, does the lack of strong recubes require more aggressive doubling than Stick's rule would recommend? If one could actually test this, how big would the "failure to double" errors become? My instincts are that it could be very large.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.