[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Walter Trice

Posted By: Paul Weaver
Date: Sunday, 22 August 2010, at 8:23 p.m.

Herb Gurland sent me an e-mail reminding me that Walter passed 52 weeks ago on Sunday, August 23. Herb mentioned what a profound influence Walter had on his life. Walter was a great positive influence on my life, as well.

I first met Walter in 1990. I spent a few days with him in his home in Holden, Massachusetts. He took me to climb Mt. Manadnock in southern New Hampshire. I went mountain climbing with Walter several times, but never did it on any other occasions. It was my privilege to visit him in his home several times over the years. It was also my pleasure to host Walter in my home when I lived in Maryland.

He was great company. He was kind and thoughtful. He was exceptionally intelligent, but also very humble.

He knew far more about the English language than I did, and he helped me with my writing when I was just starting to do my first backgammon articles.

We both played piano (Walter was much better than I was) and shared an interest in classical music and ragtime. We both majored in math and shared an interest in applying it to backgammon.

We both started playing nackgammon in 1999 and played many thousands of one-point nack matches against each other. We learned the strategies together. (Even though the pip count is greater and there is a lot more contact than in backgammon, from the begining of the game the race is important. Don't fall behind in the race for no good reason.)

I learned a lot about backgammon and many other subjects from Walter, but much more important is that I learned a lot about how I should live my life and treat my fellow man. Walter was a true and rare friend.

Walter, we all miss you very much.

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.