[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Small Board in Florida. Comments?

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Sunday, 29 August 2010, at 10:52 p.m.

I saw one occurrence at the recent Florida tournament that I thought was totally out of line.

I like and have considerable respect for both players, I also have a tremendous amount of respect for Chiva as a tournament director but I think he erred here. Hopefully, no one will be offended by my comments and wish for discussion.

In the Masters final Mike Corbett and Sassan Taherzadeh (sorry if misspelled) were to play. Mike had a large tournament size board, Sassan had a much smaller board. Each wanted to play with his own board. Chiva was called. Mike pointed out that he thought they should play on a larger board. Chiva had them roll for it, Sassan won, and they played the very important match on a postage stamp sized board.

I had a problem with this on many levels. A number of people would be watching so I think a larger board more appropriate for every one to see. A clock was being used so a larger playing surface would have precluded many instances of cocked dice (including dice on checkers). Mike is a tall guy with large hands -- there was almost not enough room in an early bear-off for all the checkers, the dice, and his fingers to exist on the one side of the board; and forget there being enough room for the dice to be properly rolled.

I appreciate someone wanting to play with their own board or not wanting to play on their opponent's board (home field advantage); however, I think tourney size boards should be used in all important, clocked matches. If someone doesn't bring a board, I think he forfeits all rights to object to an opponent's full tourney size board. If both have boards but one is smaller, and the owner of the smaller objects to the opponent's larger board for any reason perhaps another neutral larger board can be used.

I think maybe some policy should be established in this regard.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.