[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

x + y Backgammon Puzzle -- Solution

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Friday, 3 September 2010, at 4:19 a.m.

The x + y backgammon puzzle, which I originally posed here, is repeated below.

In a position that you construct: If Blue is on roll, he can win a backgammon (i.e., triple game) in x rolls. If White is on roll, he can win a backgammon in y rolls. (Sequence "Blue-White" counts as 2 rolls, not 1.)

Conditions: Blue never rolls larger than a deuce on either die. White never rolls smaller than a deuce on either die.

What is the minimum value of x + y?

Extra Credit: From the set of positions that satisfy that minimum value, what is (a) the minimum pipcount difference, and (b) the maximum pipcount difference?

Evidently, nobody else who attempted a solution was able to beat the submissions of Michael and Pierre.

My solution: x + y = 16. Blue, who can't roll larger than a deuce on either die, wins a backgammon in 7 rolls (Blue 4, White 3). White, who can't roll smaller than a deuce on either die, wins a backgammon in 9 rolls (White 5, Blue 4).

Extra credit: (a) Minimum pipcount difference I found is 7, shown in the left-hand diagram, below. (b) Maximum pipcount difference I found is 89, shown in the right-hand diagram.

White wins a BG in 5 + 4 = 9 rolls39

eX ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '

'eO '1O ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '

Blue wins a BG in 4 + 3 = 7 rolls32

White wins a BG in 5 + 4 = 9 rolls109

' ' ' ' 'eX ' ' ' ' ' '

cO2O '1O ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '

Blue wins a BG in 4 + 3 = 7 rolls20

On the left, Blue on roll bears off with four consecutive 22s while White fans with 22 thrice; Blue wins not only a BG but a "bargammon." [Variation: White rolls 32 or 42 on her last roll.]

On the left, White on roll gets 44 and plays Bar/21*/17/13/9; then Blue fans with 11 repeatedly while White bears off with four doublets (the first of which is 66 or 55) and wins a bargammon. [Variation: Blue limps with 21 on her last one or two rolls.]

On the right, Blue on roll gets 11 three times, bearing off twelve checkers, and 22 on his last roll, bargammoning White who keeps fanning with 22. [Variation: Blue can roll 22 on his second-to-last-roll and/or White rolls 32 (or sometimes 42) on her last roll.]

On the right, White on roll gets 44 and plays Bar/21*/17/13/9. Blue rolls 22 repeatedly while White rolls 66 the rest of the game, winning a BG. [Variations: Blue can enter with 21 (played Bar/22) then reenter with 22, etc.; or he can enter with 11 (played Bar/21) and/or he can roll 11 later as long as his remaining rolls are also 11.]

These solutions (including variations) work whether or not a best-checker-play restriction is imposed.

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.