[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Tournament In Baden, Austria Won By Very Weak And Lousy American Player

Posted By: Paul Weaver
Date: Sunday, 5 September 2010, at 10:50 p.m.

I am a very weak and lousy backgammon player. I can prove it in four ways.

(1) (a) Every single time Falafel watches me play online, he is always kind enough to open a chat box and tell me how many hopeless checker plays and atrocious cube decisions I have just made.

(b) After I stuck Stick in the finals of Charlotte in Jan 2007, he wrote an article on GammonVillage telling the world what a bad player I am.

(c) I last saw Joe Sylvester in Dallas over Labor Day 1994 at Kent Goulding’s World Cup. Sly beat me 3-0 (format was best three of five 11pt matches) in the semi-finals and then on the front and center of the next issue of the Chicago Point, he told the world what a hopeless player I am.

(d) One of the most benevolent Giants of backgammon made a very kind post last year on this Web site advising bgonliners not to vote for me on their Giant-32 ballot because I am such a weak and lousy player. I totally agree with these four superstars; they cannot all be wrong; indeed, I am honored that they even remember my name; I am even more honored that they would mention my name, even if it is only to inform the world what a pitiful backgammon player I am.

(2) Readers of this Web site see some of the many whoppers and double whoppers I post (“Four Peever Whoppers in the Same Game.”) Of course, I only post a tiny percentage of my whoppers because there is not enough space on the Internet to post them all.

(3) During the next week I hope to post some of my many whoppers and double whoppers in Austria so that bgonliners can see how I fumbled, blundered and whoppered my way to a tournament victory. One example is given below.

(4) Everyone knows what a big steamer and lousy money player I am. Last weekend I lost a HUGE amount in a heads-up nackgammon session to a novice who had never played nackgammon before. I, on the other hand, have played zillions of games of nackgammon over the last eleven years.

How much prize money did I win in Austria? It was twelve times the amount I lost last weekend in London.

Here is just one example of how I blundered my way to victory in Austria:

There are four legal plays in the position shown below. To my credit, I made the third best play and not the fourth best. I spent about fifteen or twenty minutes over the board on this "tough" problem. I kept on shuffling the checkers back and forth between 4/1* 4/3 and 4/3*/off (both of which are blunders). I did extensive arithmetical calculations in my head comparing these two plays. I never considered the only reasonable play, 4/1/off.

After patiently watching me consider two candidates that were both whoppers, my opponent (Tobias Hellweg) rolled 21, fanning with a number that would have hit if I had made the right play. On the other hand, maybe the fact that my opponent was destined to roll 21 makes my play was "right." Very glad I made my whopper. It paid off big time for me.

I would rather make a whopper and not get hit than to make the right play and get hit any day. "I would rather be lucky than good."

is Player 2

score: 0
pip: 109
Money session
Jacoby Beaver
pip: 15
score: 0

is Player 1
XGID=-CBaB-----a--aa-a--bbbbb--:1:-1:1:13:0:0:3:0:10
to play 13

1.XG Roller+4/0ffeq: +1.404
Player:
Opponent:
87.52% (G:69.37% B:0.26%)
12.48% (G:0.00% B:0.00%)
2.XG Roller+4/3* 3/0ffeq: +1.288 (-0.116)
Player:
Opponent:
84.78% (G:63.45% B:0.99%)
15.22% (G:0.00% B:0.00%)
3.XG Roller+4/1 4/3* eq: +1.283 (-0.121)
Player:
Opponent:
83.76% (G:66.09% B:0.23%)
16.24% (G:0.00% B:0.00%)
4.3 ply4/1 2/1eq: +1.204 (-0.200)
Player:
Opponent:
81.06% (G:64.67% B:0.08%)
18.94% (G:0.00% B:0.00%)

eXtreme Gammon Version: 1.21

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.