[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

2 pip or 1/2 pip crossover penalty

Posted By: Stanley E. Richards
Date: Monday, 6 September 2010, at 11:46 a.m.

Recently, I stated that Chuck Bower explained in an post that a 2 pip per crossover penalty during a race was more accurate than the 1/2 pip per crossover penalty taught by Thorpe. Chuck's explanation in the Tuesday, February 14, 2006, 2:45 PM GammonOnline post which presents this 2 pip crossover penalty was "Ward tried to cover a lot of situations, including those with several checkers left to bear in (I believe). There are better methods when the bearin is a ways off from beginning." :-) I kept the article.

Recently a backgammon master was kind enough to email me to state that 1/2 pip crossover penalty is best. This master had not heard of the 2 pip crossover theory. Unfortunately, Chuck's theory has not appeared in any backgammon book to my knowledge. Thus, it is understandable that his theory may not be known.

I have been using 2 pip crossover penalty for 4 1/2 years. I analyze every match that I play. The 2 pip crossover penalty theory seems perfect.

Any thoughts?

Stanley

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.