[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Backgammon Development Thoughts

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Wednesday, 15 September 2010, at 4:53 p.m.

I know Joe Russell and others have started a backgammon club at UCLA. UBK has included some principles in his classes. Phil is/was teaching a backgammon course at some college in Georgia. I've arranged a meeting next week with the Rice U. chess club and hope to get something started there. I'm sure others are perhaps doing similar things but I'm not familiar with them.

Anyway, my thought is that at some point (maybe next year sometime) if these efforts are successful and we begin to get some interest/players at various schools we might think about bringing some of them together in some fashion.

If we had 4 to 8 schools we could let each school club select (by play preferably) a player to attend an ABT event -- all would go to the same event. We could hopefully gather enough established player/sponsors to do this free to the students at limited overall expense. There would be a plane ticket and we could have them share rooms to reduce the hotel costs. Pay their way into the novice division and also have a free college/university bracket (round robin would be best I think) where they all play each other.

They would also get a chance to meet a lot of players -- I think they should be introduced at the start of the tourney and we could encourage all to spend a bit of time with them. They would be exposed to a real tourney, some real high quality matches to observe, and develop playing friends from other schools. Hopefully it would be the type of pleasant experience all could take back with them to grow their clubs and to spread the word to friends at other schools.

Just a thought, but I think this is one of the types of things we could be doing to promote the game.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.