[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Separate Clock for Breaks

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Thursday, 16 September 2010, at 2:01 a.m.

If the rules state that, say, two 10-minute breaks are allowed for a match of a certain length, shouldn't each of those breaks be 10 minutes rather than 20 to 45 minutes?

Chiva suggested here that clocks could run during a player's break. For a long time, I've advocated that they should, believing that overbreaks (and extra breaks) are a large and hidden factor contributing to tournament delays, even when clocks are used.

People on this forum have pointed out potential problems with gamesmanship or believe that a 100% time penalty for an overbreak is too harsh. I'd like to suggest a solution that can hopefully address these concerns.

There are many old analog clocks in disuse. I have two or three myself, gathering years of dust in the closet. Some TDs have a bunch they no longer use. I propose that any player about to start a match can sign out an analog clock (until the supply runs out -- or he can have brought his own). This analog clock is brought out only to track a break.

When a break is taken, one side of the analog clock is set for ten minutes before an hour (if it's a ten-minute break), say for 5:50 analog time. The other side of the clock is set for 12:00. The clock is placed ON TOP of the board (illustrating to others that it is a match in progress). The 5:50 side of the clock is started and (one or both) players leave the table.

If only one player -- say "Player A" -- returns to (or is present at) the table when the analog clock reads 6:00 or later, he starts the 12:00 side of that analog clock. (He can also point that end towards the opponent's side of the table, if he likes, though it's not necessary). This clock may only continue to run as long as Player A is sitting in (or "touching"?) his chair.

When Player B returns to the table, he stops the clock and acknowledges that the original side reads 6:00 or later. (Otherwise, player A punched too early and there is a more-than-proportionally-reduced or no time penalty.) The type of penalty assessed now depends upon whether a main clock is in use:

If there is NO main clock:

For each x minutes elapsed (past 12:00), player B is assessed a penalty point.

If there IS a main clock:

The number of minutes elapsed (past 12:00) is multiplied by 50%(?), subtracted from player B's main reserve time, and play continues.

(50% is just an example. It can be some other fixed number like 25%, or it can vary from tournament to tournament; e.g., "Clocks mandatory, breaks 70%.")

[When all allotted breaks have been taken for a match, I recommend that the analog clock be returned to the tournament desk. If they are in especially short supply, it can even be a rule that they aren't signed out until the first break is taken.]

By the way, while it is not as necessary with the above scheme, I think it is always a good idea to log the real time (e.g., 3:46 p.m.) when starting a break.

Thoughts?

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.