[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Another Real Test of Skill

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Thursday, 23 September 2010, at 4:29 a.m.

At the Peoria tournament next month, I will be running a side event called "Random Gammon." Players will be given one of 8 starting positions I have created and will play each game from one of those positions until the match is done.

The net effect will be similar in concept to "backgammon-to-lose" in that the starting positions will be quite unusual which will require the players, from the opening roll, to completely rely on their skills and reasoning, and not memory or reference positions or even general rules of thumb.

You can imagine how complex it will be to start with 6 checkers back, spread out all over your opponent's board, or to start out without your 6 point, etc. etc.

I predict that the winners of this event will very likely be extremely top players. (I have played this in practice and developed positions that will be challenging and fun from the opening roll.)

I am a strong believer in playing variations to change the game up and test skills in different ways (e.g. Cancelgammon, The Simborg Rule where you can't make a point on the opening roll, backgammon-to-lose, slot gammon, hyper-gammon, and of course, Nackgammon). "Purists" say this isn't really backgammon, but I say they are challenging and intellectually stimulating diversions, and those purists who don't like it simply don't have to play it.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.