[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Norwegian Expert Arild Idsoe Wins London After Being 300-1 Underdog

Posted By: Paul Weaver
Date: Monday, 27 September 2010, at 2:55 a.m.

Mike Main and Richard Biddle did a great job running the tournament September 24-26 in London. The venue was a four-story pub on the south bank of the Thames River, with a deck on the top floor that gave incredible views of St. Paul’s Cathedral and a lot more of London across the river.

The British players were very friendly and well mannered hosts. I had the pleasure of meeting Chris Bray, a well-known author, for the first time.

Zoe Cunningham, from London, won the women’s world championship in Monte Carlo earlier this year. To celebrate, she invited a few dozen friends (mostly BG players and family) to a terrific party Thursday night at an upscale Asian restaurant in the historic Camden section of London.

Zoe deserves a lot of credit for producing a one-hour film of the tournament, complete with commentary. I believe it will be posted on U-tube when completed.

The format was best two of three 7pt matches in the winners’ bracket, best two of three 5pters in the consolation and one 5pter in the last chance. There were 33 people in the draw. They also had other divisions.

Clocks were mandatory and the tournament was very well run. Some ABT directors could learn a lot from Mike about how to successfully run a tournament.

Believe it or not, I attended a hopelessly and insensitively run ABT event earlier this year at which after a three-hour wait from 8:15 to 11:15 PM (caused by slow play earlier in the day that the TDs, for some incredible unknown reason, failed to be on the lookout for), contestants were required to play until 2:15 Sunday morning, long after the two TDs had gone to sleep.

Is there a cause/effect relationship between mandatory clocks and a well-run tournament? Although some ABT directors have not yet been able to figure it out, the vast majority of championship players (other than the snails) and European directors have grasped the concept.

There were four Americans: Carter Mattig, Joe Freedman, Jason Pack and Paul Weaver. Jason Pack (from New York) is working on his PhD in history at Oxford. Other countries represented include England, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Portugal and maybe more.

I lost in the money round (quarterfinals) to Mario Sequiera of Portugal and then to Farzin (an Iranian living in Norway) in the money round of the consolation.

In the semifinals, Arild was down 0-1 in matches and was down 2-6 in the 7pt match when Position 1 came up.

Position 1

is Player 2

score: 6
pip: 2
7 point match
pip: 125
score: 1

is Player 1
XGID=----BCCC-----C---------aA-:1:-1:1:00:1:6:0:7:10
on roll, cube action?

Analyzed in 4 ply
Player Winning Chances: 2.06% (G: 0.00% B: 0.00%)
Opponent Winning Chances: 97.94% (G: 76.27% B: 63.58%)
Cubeless Equities
No Redouble:-0.959
Redouble:-0.935
Cubeful Equities
No Redouble:-0.959 (-0.024)
Redouble/Take:-0.935
Redouble/Drop:+1.000 (+1.935)
Best Cube action: Redouble / Take

eXtreme Gammon Version: 1.21, MET: Rockwell-Kazaross

At this point, Arild was maybe something like a 300 to 1 underdog to win the tournament. Strange things happen in backgammon, poker, football, politics, and also to Lindsay Lohan. I recall phrasing this question more than thirty years ago, “If we know surprises are going to occur, then why are we so surprised when surprises happen?”

Arild’s opponent in the finals was Julian Fetterlein, considered by many to be Britain’s best match player. Julian was runner-up in London in both 2009 and 2010 and also runner-up in Bristol, England in 2008 and 2010.

Julian told me he reads the BS I post on Stick’s site and he also told me he enjoys the sense of humour (British spelling) in my writings. Then Julian asked me how come I am such a dull and boring bloke in person.

Julian was leading 4-0 in the first 7pter in the finals when Arild doubled Position 2.

Position 2.

is Player 2

score: 5
pip: 116
7 point match
pip: 117
score: 0

is Player 1
XGID=--aB-BD-CbABa-----accAb-b-:0:0:1:00:0:5:0:7:10
on roll, cube action?

eXtreme Gammon Version: 1.21

Arild doubled and rolled 44. Julian put up a good fight, but eventually lost a gammon. In the next game, Position 3 came up.

Position 3

is Player 2

pip: 162
7 point match
pip: 163
score: 4

is Player 1
XGID=-a-a-BD-B---dE-a-c-e----B-:0:0:1:00:4:5:0:7:10
on roll, cube action?

The John O'Hagan school of backgammon, as I understand it, encourages steaming in match play. Even though Arild had just won a four-point game, he was still trailing and therefore still supposed to be steaming.

Whether you are down on the scoresheet in a chouette or trailing in a match, an experienced steamer should know to consider doubling positions like Position 3.

On the next roll, Position 4 came up.

Position 4.

is Player 2

pip: 162
7 point match
pip: 143
score: 4

is Player 1
XGID=aB-BaBB-----dE-a-c-e----B-:0:0:1:00:4:5:0:7:10
on roll, cube action?

Is White now too good?

Congratulations to Arild and Julian for their success in the tournament.

Thanks to Mike and Richard for putting on a tremendous show.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.