[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Update from Maryland

Posted By: Rich Munitz
Date: Saturday, 16 October 2010, at 5:40 a.m.

I left work early and allowed myself plenty of time for things to go wrong on my drive to Maryland. Everything went perfectly until I got off the highway in Towson and turned right as instructed by Google Maps. The country is quite beautiful in that direction, rural in composition with nice trees and lakes. A pleasant drive for many miles. Of course after this nice drive and appreciating the lovely fall foliage now emerging I finally realized that Towson is actually comprised of buildings. This isn't Towson. No matter, a good hour left before the Masters and it turned out to be a simple case of should have ignored the directions and turned left instead of right off the highway.

I arrive with plenty of time to spare, say hi to everyone and get to the tournament desk to be greeted by Chiva and Elayne, both looking at me with a puzzled look: what are you here to play? The Masters I reply. Well its full, I'm told. What do you mean? Didn't I send in my registration? No, you didn't. Well, I always send in my registration, but it turns out that this event didn't have a registration form to send in, which is probably why I never remembered. But quite clearly on the brochure it says for the Masters that it is recommended that you pre-register. So no Masters event for me.

All Masters and Open matches here are Clocks Mandatory.

The Masters had qualifiers being run in the afternoon leading to a final bracket of 8 players in the evening: O'Laughlin, Cohen, Zamani, Weaver, Koca, Acierno, Mamlet, Grunwald. In the semis, Grunwald d. Koca and Zamani d. O'Laughlin. Finals still to be played.

The Main event began today and had a very disappointing turnout, with only 18 players in the Open. However, the Intermediate had quite a bit more (unsure of exact number), and there were probably around 12 in the Novice. So probably around 55 players in total.

Of the 18 players, there were 5 Giants - Mochy, O'Laughlin, Weaver, Koca, and me. So this was a small but tough field. Matches began at 15 points. I had to play Ed O. first round and the winner of that match had to play the winner that emerged from the 4 anti-byes. That turned out to be UBK by a nose with 7 seconds left on his clock. Fortunately, I managed to be the last Giant standing winning my two matches against Ed and UBK, while both Mochy and peever did not advance on the top half of the draw.

Main semis match-ups tomorrow/Saturday will be Mary Hickey vs. Jeff Acierno and Joe Friedman vs. Rich Munitz. Semis will be 17 and finals 19. Progressive consolation also begins Saturday.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.