[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

OT -- Weekend Football Observations -- Long

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Monday, 25 October 2010, at 1:49 a.m.

1. The NFL is becoming more and more of a joke. Even with video replay they can't determine who recovers a fumble? And it decides the game !! Give me a break. That whole refereeing crew should be summarily dismissed.

2. Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops joins a long list of morons. If you're 15 points down and score a touchdown with three minutes to go YOU DO NOT GO FOR A TWO POINT CONVERSION. Just kick the extra point and it remains a one possession game. Go for two -- and fail (as OU did) -- and it remains a two possession game. Game over.

3. BCS ratings are such a joke each year that I wonder why we all get caught up in watching college football. Auburn is now #1 despite three point wins over Miss. St., Clemson (at home), and Kentucky. Their defense is ranked like #110 out of 120 in the division. I don't know who should be #1 but I can critique them all. Who has Oregon played? Boise State's schedule is a joke. TCU's is marginally better but they do have BCS #8 Utah in a few weeks. Michigan State has looked mediocre at best (Notre Dame in OT?) and doesn't play Ohio State in the little ten. Missouri beat Oklahoma and has another stern test this week at Nebraska -- otherwise they've played no one.

I'm biased but I'd put TCU #1. They beat a ranked Oregon St. team (before James Rodgers was hurt) by same margin that Boise State beat them. They beat Air Force 38-7, Oklahoma beat Air Force 27-24. They beat #25 Baylor 45-10. They will play BCS #8 Utah. They are giving up an average of 9.0 points per game.

Oregon has the one quality win against Stanford. They do have games left against the Jeckyl/Hyde teams California and USC, and play good Arizona team. Their rivalry game against Oregon St. shouldn't be much as Oregon St. has lost a number of key players. Oregon is giving up 15.9 point per game on defense.

Boise State has suspect wins over Virginia Tech and Oregon State. Otherwise, they've played no one and will play no one.

Auburn's defense is pathetic giving up an average of 23.5 pts/game. They have 3 points wins over the three powerhouses Mississippi State, Clemson, and Kentucky. They beat S. Carolina and LSU by a touchdown apiece while giving up 43 to Arkansas. They have to play Alabama at the end of the season and, if they win, then the SEC championship -- though the SEC East winner might not even be ranked.

Michigan State schedule might be the biggest joke among BCS qualifier conference schools -- non-conference included Western Michigan, Northern Colorado, and Florida Atlantic (no one plays three bigger patsies). They beat very weak Notre Dame team on trick play in OT. They have one quality win against Wisconsin, play Iowa away this weekend, and don't play Ohio State. They're giving up 18 points per game against pitiful competition.

Missouri had played no one until beating Oklahoma this week. They have Nebraska on the road this week. They don't play Texas (weaker though dangerous), BCS #17Oklahoma State, or BCS #25 Baylor in Big 12 South. They're giving up 13.0 points per game.

Let's say they all win out except for the Alabama-Auburn game which I think Alabama wins easily -- they have the defense to shut down the one-dimensional Auburn offense and could score 100 points on Auburn defense. I think top two teams should then be TCU and Alabama -- I think the BCS will give it to Oregon and, maybe, TCU or Alabama; more likely Alabama.

The BCS will then, for the second year in a row, put the screws to the non-BCS schools by having TCU and Boise State play a BCS Bowl 'rematch'. That way there will still be no gauge of how they fair against the BCS conferences.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.