[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Has anyone ever thought of ...

Posted By: Stick
Date: Thursday, 12 July 2007, at 5:55 p.m.

An acronym-esque system for all backgammon positions? I realized a long time ago that there must be a better way for labeling the opening moves, their replies, 3rd rolls, & AtS positions, d, g, s (dmp, gg, gs) and with a lot of help from Nack & Paul now have clear, consise file names where I can find everything I want very quickly.

What about everything else that doesn't happen in the first 3 moves!? The hardest part for me, if I wanted to write an article or a book, would be going through the thousands of positions I have saved and figuring out what the fuck they actually are. When I started playing bg I didn't realize how quickly they would amass so when I played Mary (frequently) I'd label shit "mary.nov.06.cube.beaver". That's fine & dandy for the moment, but unless I plan on one day writing a book [or series of books ;) with Mary's blunders in it why do I care where an individual position came up?

I went through last night trying to devise acronyms for a large part of positions. I went through hundreds of positions and I'm sure it will be easy for me to remember, since I'm the one doing it and making them up on the spot, esp. with continued use, I wondered if the bg community wouldn't benefit from a 'file naming system' to keep shit organized. Any suggestions? I haven't worked on it much to see what works best but I plan on doing it to cut down the amount of time I have to spend on bg overall in the future.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.