[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Guy returns to backgammon after not playing for four years; guy asks questions about eXtreme Gammon and XG Roller double/beaver position

Posted By: Flaccus
Date: Sunday, 7 November 2010, at 12:27 a.m.

Hello to all people, this is my first post in this forum. Here speaking is a guy that returned to an old mistress after a long period of celibacy. Indeed, I almost spent more than four years without playing backgammon. Not a single game. I also have no idea what happened in the backgammon world in the last years.

Regarding software, there seems to be a new kid on the block: eXtreme Gammon. I've been trying the trial version in the last days and I must say that I'm impressed with the speed and it’s many features. Still, I would like to know what the experts say about the program regarding its playing strength in priming and back games. Is it better than snowie?

I read that snowie 4.7 is now better at priming and back games and I see that it even prefers the 21 slot at the opening. I did read the independent studies comparing eXtreme Gammon with other programs, but I would still like to know your opinions based on your experiences.

Like I said, I've been only trying the program for a few days, but here’s a thing: while I was messing around setting up positions where it would be right to double as an underdog in a money game I came up with this:

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1691/doublebeaver.jpg

the equities shown in the image are the result of a rollout with 100% confidence.

4 ply, 6 ply, 7 ply and XG Roller + correctly say it's No double/beaver

But,

1 ply says it's double/drop

2 ply, 3 ply and 5 ply say it's double/take

XG Roller (and this is what I find amusing) says it’s double/beaver!

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/8112/doublebeavertrue.jpg

Snowie 4.7 doesn't make this mistake at any ply.

Can someone elaborate on this? Can I really trust this program's playing strength in priming positions or did I just got (un)lucky finding a semi-freak position for XG?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.