[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My last rant (for now) On Race, Palin, Clarence Thomas, and Michelle Obama (OT)

Posted By: Joe Freedman
Date: Thursday, 25 November 2010, at 2:09 a.m.

For those few with the patience to follow these posts, I wanted to respond to those who were outraged by my "unsupported" slur on Justice Thomas. In addition, the Right echo-chamber is also apparently still harping on Michelle Obama's statement about not feeling proud about this country. The following article says it much better than I could:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/22/AR2010112204388.html?nav=hcmodule

On Clarence, obviously he's more appealing to the right-wingnuts (whose morale outrage at Clinton's shenanigans was strangely absent during the Anita Hill hearings) but no one should have any illusions as to why he was chosen or his performance on the court. (For those with short memories, Thomas was appointed by Reagan as chair of the EEOC. After serving on the staff of a Republican senator, in 1990 he was appointed to the Ct. of Appeals by Bush I, and shortly after to the S. Ct., after one or two years as a judge. He has worked for the fed. gov't his entire career -- nothing wrong with that, of course.) It's interesting that the R's can get away with placing extremists such as Scalia, Roberts, Alito and Thomas on the court, but Obama gets flack for appointing slightly left of centrists. Apparently, a truly "liberal" judge (i.e., a judge who is concerned about equal protection of law) like Douglas, Brennan or Th. Marshall could would never be nominated, much less confirmed, in the climate of hysteria whipped up by the rt wing bloviators. So we get a few moderates to provide a dwindling modicum of balance against the "strict constructionists" who don't mind handing over the political system over to moneyed interests, interfering in state proceedings when it suits their purposes (see Bush v. Gore), and ignoring those parts of the Constitution that don't fit their theocratic, plutocratic outlook.

On Thomas, see http://www.lincolnecho.com/2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=335&Itemid=71

One excerpt: "In 1983 Thomas gave a speech to his staff at the EEOC, in this speech Thomas stated that affirmative action was “critical to minorities and women in this society.” He even went further to say “But for them (affirmative action laws), God only knows where I would be today. These laws and their proper application are all that stand between the first 17 years of my life and the second 17 years.”"

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.