[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

OT political posts

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Saturday, 27 November 2010, at 3:51 p.m.

I think the occasional OT post on BGO is fine -- I'm just as guilty as the next guy -- but the flurry of political posts is going to ruin this site.

Political posts are helping nobody. These are not discussions, they are rants. One side will never convince the other, because the beliefs are so deep seated. Instead, they devolve into petty name-calling and insults, with the inevitable result of people simply hating each other.

I have said many times that one of the best features of BGO is the high signal-to-noise ratio, full of people who are amazingly willing to offer their incredible knowledge and insight into backgammon.

Remember, we are all ambassadors to the game of backgammon. Our goal should be to encourage the next generation of newbies to crack open Boot Camp and move up from Beginner to Intermediate. We really don't want those people to see the backgammon community as a bunch of squabblers.

I am, once again, begging all: please, please leave the political rants for some other site, and let BGO be the site where we go for backgammon chat, with the occasional sidebar into college football and logic puzzles. We should be treating each other with civility and respect, and discussions of politics (here anyway) lead to the very opposite.

JLee

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.