[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Ethics vs. Etiquette? in LA

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Monday, 6 December 2010, at 5:12 p.m.

I watched the entire subject match and I had little, if any, problem with the ultimate occurrence. Curious of others' reactions.

In a 9 point Consolation match Player A was vastly (let me emphasize, VASTLY) more experienced and more accomplished than Player B. Player A, predictably, raced out to a 8C-1/9 lead. Player A had corrected/instructed Player B numerous times on various aspects of the game -- illegal moves, misread dice, clock action, rolling actions, etc.

Player B, despite himself, rallies. Post-Crawford, generally without benefit of the cube, Player B puts up single point after single point -- might have been one two-pointer in the sequence. But each new freak joker win is seemingly worse than the prior freak joker win. They reach 8-7/9.

In this game, Player B gets off to a great blitz start, again without cubing, and Player A is in serious gammon jeopardy. Player B shakes and rolls, cocking his dice. In reaching for his dice to shake/roll anew, the cube must have caught his eye. He doubles (or attempts to double). This, if valid, would be the greatest gift from heaven to Player A; however, Player A sighs, shakes his head, and informs Player B that he has already initiated his roll and cannot double. (Big credit to Player A.) He informs Player B that he may double next roll if he wishes. Player A turns to me and says, loudly enough for all (including Player B) to hear, "that was hard to do". Several kibbitzers had all but fainted with the cube, so it is hard to imagine Player B didn't take note of all of the comments and reactions.

Player B rolls 6-6 which further crushes Player A and makes a gammon (for the match) highly likely -- two on the bar, against a four point board. Player A dances. Player B picks up the dice. Player A again informs Player B that he is free to legally double him now. (Small debit to Player A?) Player B obliges, cashing for the point to send the match to DMP. Player A wins the DMP game and advances.

Now, again, I personally had no problem with Player A's second doubling comment, but I'm curious of others' thoughts. Player B certainly has the responsibility to know the rules and to be responsible for his own actions. I would regard such a comment made toward me in a similar situation as a good-natured attempt at humor. But was it unfairly taking advantage of another's ineptness?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.