[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My response to Chuck and my 2010 ABT closing comments

Posted By: rory
Date: Tuesday, 7 December 2010, at 10:07 p.m.

I would first like to congratulate Kit for winning the 2010 ABT Player of the Year and to John and Rich for finishing on the podium. Saturday night I was I last player who had a chance to knock Kit from the top spot. Unfortunately, I lost to Justin Nunez in the 2nd chance bracket at the California State Championship and my dream of winning player of the year went poof. However, finishing forth to these three Giants of Backgammon is a great accomplishment that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

In 2010 I played in nine ABT events, cashing in five. I won my first ABT title going 11-1 at the Wisconsin State Championships in the first ever 100% pure Swiss format in ABT history. I also had 4 small cashes in New York (lost to Ed O'Laughlin in the Semis), Pitt (lost to Mel Rappaport to finish tied 5th-8th in a modified Swiss format), Michigan (lost to Dana Nazarian in the semis of the Consolation), California State Champ (lost to Joe Russell in the semis of the consolation). Overall I finished with a record of 44-23 in Open/Championship ABT matches and 11-7 against those I consider to be world class players.

I had an amazing year that was filled with lots of success but more importantly I had fun. I had never been to more than five events in any calendar year and I may never again. During the year I had the pleasure of meeting arguably the two best BG players in the world, Mochy and Falafel. Mochy and I played a doubles match against Stick and Carter in Vegas and even though we got crushed it was an incredible experience. How many people can say they played a match of the game they love with the #1 ranked player in the world as their partner? Seriously, I was able to do that! And believe me; I was in awe of my fortune as it was happening.

The formation of the US Backgammon Federation will also be a lasting memory for me this year. I am proud to say that I am a Founding Sponsor. The next time you see Rod Covlin thank him for all the work he did to get it off the ground. Since Perry was appointed President he has taken this responsibility and treated it like it was his own business. He along with all the other board members should be commended for what they have done. Our game is going to grow and have long term success because of their efforts. If you haven’t become a member do so as soon as possible. An annual membership is just $40. It is a very small investment that will help to make our game grow throughout the US and abroad.

Finally, I would like to thank my BG community as a whole. Everyone that knows me and/or has played a match against me knows I love this game. BG is a very important part of my life and not just because I love playing the game. The characters in the BG community are vast and varied. To me, they are what make the game so great and why I enjoy traveling the country to play the game. Thank you to everyone that helped make my 2010 ABT such an amazing experience.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.