[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Does Dr. Bob Koca’s Astute Prediction Describe Stick?

Posted By: Paul Weaver
Date: Sunday, 26 December 2010, at 5:33 p.m.

I wrote, “If enough people play backgammon long enough, eventually someone with no concept or understanding of backgammon will randomly get every single decision right for the entire duration of his life. His matches will be recorded and he will be recognized as the greatest player ever. He will be at a loss, however, to explain the reasons behind his always perfect plays. Everyone will be absolutely clueless about the fact that he is actually absolutely clueless about backgammon.” (http://www.bgonline.org/forums/webbbs_config.pl?read=84444)

Dr. Bob Koca (who a few months ago climbed Mt. Fuji, the spiritual icon of Japan) wisely added, “But eventually there will be such a person who also when explaining the plays chooses words at random and just happens by luck to choose the perfect words to explain his choices beautifully.” (http://www.bgonline.org/forums/webbbs_config.pl?read=84451)

Bob and I agree it will happen, but we don’t know when. Or do we? As I read Bob’s prophetic words, I began to wonder if perhaps a smaller version of this prediction might already be going on, right under our noses, while no one yet has figured it out.

I am not saying I know this for sure, and I certainly do not want to hurt anyone’s feelings, but for all we know, Stick actually knows absolutely nothing about backgammon, but gets his low PR purely by blind luck. Dr. Koca explains how he can appear to be knowledgeable about backgammon while in reality, he knows next to nothing.

We will probably never know for sure (not even Stick himself would know, so his denial would carry no weight), one way or the other, whether Stick is a softer version of the events described in the first two paragraphs of this post. Anyone else have any insights here?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.