[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Why use clocks?

Posted By: Stick
Date: Tuesday, 18 January 2011, at 5:58 a.m.

Since I'm incapable of understanding why a tournament would chose to be run without clocks for any reason other than not having a clock supply, I offer up another try to encompass all post about clocks.

The main objective of using clocks is to avoid slow play. Slow play even by one individual can bottleneck a tournament. I remember in a previous post here on BGO where an ABT tourney had 33 entrants so there was non clocked anti-bye round. These two individuals apparently thought they were out for a Sunday drive and their 9 point match ended up taking 3 and a half hours! Now one of these slowpokes had to advance and this entire scenario tore up the tournament making it less than enjoyable for many players who were forced to wait for matches, forced to play late into the night, forced to get less sleep, all because two donkeys played like molasses. There have been many other horror stories about non clocked matches.

I am not suggesting we've found the perfect time settings to use. In fact, these settings can vary widely depending on the event in question. Since the main purpose of clocks is to avoid the brutality of slow play and hampering the flow of a tournament, some tournaments such as Monte Carlo or 4 day weekend tournaments may be able to use and get away with a looser time control than your standard weekend ABT event. In this post I will be talking mainly about your status quo ABT event.

The weekend ABT event has serious time constraints and it is where I see the most possible benefits from clock use. The tournament doesn't usually start til Saturday and there is a lot of play on that day. Then Sunday people are rushing to make flights or get home early. Even on extended weekend tourneys there's still a time press and I believe these tourneys would be much better served implementing clocks.

As of now I am also only suggesting mandatory use for the main Jackpot (Masters) event, the Open or Main division, and doubles. This isn't because I don't think intermediates or beginner players wouldn't be able to handle clocks once they became accustomed to them or that they wouldn't improve their playing experience in some respect either, it's because these divisions/events (side events) don't generally have the ability to ruin everyone's good time if a match is slow. Also, we currently don't have enough clocks in circulation to clock everything. If everyone got on board with clocks I'm sure there would be a nice spike in clock purchases or even a fundraiser giving the money to various TDs or an organization like the USBGF to purchase clocks and make them available at all the tournaments.

Here are some positive aspects of clock usage:

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.