[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Backgammon Lessons

Posted By: Rich Munitz
Date: Wednesday, 19 January 2011, at 10:07 p.m.

In Response To: Backgammon Lessons (Stanley E. Richards)

Why pay for what you can get for free?

Why are you reading this forum? Can't you just read some books, play bots and learn that way? Perhaps. But the insights, important concepts and way of thinking about situations that experts convey here is invaluable. Some people feel that having an expert work with them personally on their own shortcomings in understanding is a far more efficient way of reaching their goal of enlightenment than having to figure it all out for themselves over the course of many years - assuming that they ever will.

I've never taken lessons in backgammon, but I have in sports. In spite of the wealth of information available on every sport, and my ability and willingness to work hard at it, I never would have come anywhere near the capabilities I have in the time I did without a professional showing me how to think, what to do, and equally important - what not to do.

Also, as a bachelor, you should appreciate that there's what you can get for free and there's what you can get if you pay a substantial sum. While you may be content with the free stuff, sometimes you do indeed get what you pay for. If you have sufficient raw talent, there may be little or no difference between the two. Most people do not have that kind of raw talent. The same is true with backgammon.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.