[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My view on information

Posted By: Michael Petch
Date: Saturday, 29 January 2011, at 10:58 a.m.

I have been asked in private (a lot recently) whether I am actually serious about my views on information being available for free or whether I am here to rile (no pun intended) this community up. I will admit that I have an ideology that is not the norm in society (or here for that matter), so I can see how some may see how my view is somehow politically motivated. Its not necessarily about politics but more fundamentally is about ideology. With regards to information, and the sharing of it, I like to quote Richard Stallman (Founder of the free software movement):

"I believe that all generally useful information should be free. By 'free' I am not referring to price, but rather to the freedom to copy the information and to adapt it to one's own uses... When information is generally useful, redistributing it makes humanity wealthier no matter who is distributing and no matter who is receiving"

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.