[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Things I learned this weekend

Posted By: adambulldog
Date: Monday, 31 January 2011, at 3:57 a.m.

1. It's really, really tough to run a good BG event. Players should really treasure directors and staff like CJC, Bill Davis, MFIC, the Meeses, Howard, Sam, Linda Rockwell, Troy, Tom Machaj, the Minsers and all the rest who do a fantastic job and stick with it year after year.

2. Guys with nothing to do who hang around the tournament desk and want to tell you about some game they played on Play 65 are a real pain in the ass.

3. Stepan Nuniyants is a really great and generous guy.

4. I'm not well suited to the role of running a tournament. I don't know that I will do it again.

4a. That said, I think it went off OK. I would give E! and me a B or B+ for the running of this event. Judged by the standard of newbie directors I would hazard to think we might deserve an A.

5. There is no perfect drawsheet.

6. Clocks are vital to the success of the game.

7. If you want to run a good event, good people to call on for advice and help include CJC, MFIC, Neil Kaz, Jeb Horton, Sam Pottle, Bill Minser, and many more. Joe Russell and Steve Sax gave good pointers about the Calcutta. Greg Merriman pitched in to help. People in the BG community are really generous (except when they are greedy and selfish.)

8. X-22 knows an astonishing amount about the game. He doesn't really play anymore, and he was wiped after coming to our event directly from a teaching gig in Austalia, but I definitely picked up a few good nuggets from his talk.

9. Frank Talbot is very fun to hang around with.

10. It's really, really tough to run a good BG event. Players should really treasure directors and staff like CJC, Bill Davis, MFIC, the Meeses, Howard, Sam, Linda Rockwell, Troy, Tom Machaj, the Minsers and all the rest who do a fantastic job and stick with it year after year.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.