[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Santa Fe Finals -- Comparative Comments

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Tuesday, 1 February 2011, at 12:16 a.m.

I've decided to enter the matches myself into Snowie (yeah, I know, I will upgrade soon) and forward to Justin, Neil, Koca, EdO. Seems I can do it faster myself and resolve any questions with my transcriptions -- plus, I get to see them faster while some plays are still in mind.

I've finished the Masters match and have started on the Championship match. I'll be e-mailing them to Justin and the participants soon.

I've made seveal observations deserving comment. Both matches were to eleven points and both matches paired two world class players; however, the two matches could not be more different -- I don't know for sure yet, or if it can eventually be determined, if the differences are a function of the player personalities or just random variances within the game. But the observations are consistent throughout the two matches.

UBK and EdO played only seven games -- each very long (both in number of moves and time) and quite involved (the first game alone was 111 moves). They played in a studied, deliberative, cautious fashion. There are more total moves in the seven game UBK/EdO match than in the thirteen game Neil/Stepan match. Bob ended with 0:50 remaining and Ed with 2:11.

Neil and Stepan played thirteen games -- most comparatively short. This match gave much more the feeling of a heavyweight prize fight with the two participants probing for weaknesses, choosing very carefully when to seize their opportunities, and declining opportunities when unsure or uncomfortable. Seven of the games ended in D/P after very few combined plays (the sum of plays of both players) -- 5 plays, 18 plays, 8 plays, 9 plays, 12 plays, 4 plays, and 4 plays. Neil ended with 11:45 remaining and Stepan with 4:16.

Once Justin has converted the files to XG and posted them it will be very interesting to me to see others' reactions to the comparative playing styles. I'll not comment on ER's (and I've certainly seen nothing yet for anyone to be embarrassed about), choosing to await the more state-of-the-art PR's from XG.

I think all of the participants greatly appreciate the others' games; however, they seemed to react differently in the two matches. One slow and deliberate, the other fast and dynamic. I personally think it more a factor of individual player personalities but I'll let others decide for themselves.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.