[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Does Backgammon Need more Backgammon Servers?

Posted By: Michael Petch
Date: Tuesday, 1 February 2011, at 9:05 a.m.

This particular question has dogged me the past few years. Like other programmers in this community (and there are likely many) someone approaching us to develop sites from scratch.

Like many programmers on here developing server and client software is not rocket science (Likely proper auditing and money transactions (vaults) on money play servers requires extra care) - one just needs time.

There are generally 2 options now. Re-skin an existing server and pay royalties or licenses etc, or do it from scratch are the main options. There is no right solution for everyone. It really depends on circumstances.

What I am more curious is for those who may wish to do it from scratch, What value will one expect to add beyond existing servers that are running today? Do existing servers miss the mark? If they do lack something what is it? What would draw people to your new server that would make it better than the rest?

I ask these questions because I think that the Backgammon community has too many servers servicing the non money players. Some non money play server require a membership and some are free. All have different clients. Some are supported on multiple platforms, some are tied to specific OSes. All these non money play servers are fracturing the backgammon community.

The only way a new server that promotes non money play makes sense is if you could finally draw people off the other servers and consolidate them in one place. If you can't do this then I believe that it simply fractures the community more.

IMHO: Sometimes too much choice is a bad thing.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.