[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Backgammon and Gambling IS NOT the public perception

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Wednesday, 2 February 2011, at 4:24 p.m.

In conversations with well students and teachers at over 100 colleges and high schools, I can only recall two occasions where the question of gambling was raised. (And both times it was quickly dispelled.)

The general public, at least here in the US, thinks of backgammon as a fun board game, like checkers or chess.

WE THINK OF IT AS A GAMBLING GAME because most of us here play in tournaments and chouettes for money.

I am sure some people out there know that there are web sites for money, and tournaments for money, but educators, parents, students and the general public do not think of backgammon in the same way they do poker, or blackjack, or craps, or roulette, which are thought of as purely gambling games.

So let's stop being negative about this aspect of the game, or over-emphasizing this aspect of the game as an excuse to not promote this game to children and families.

Yes, the gambling aspects do have an affect on attracting sponsors and players to live tournaments, but we can and do have a very active and vibrant group of players who play simply to win points, trophies, or simply for the joy of winning as so many are doing every day on the free sites on the internet and in their homes.

I believe the future of this game will include major tournaments for "amateurs" that play only for the trophy and masterpoints, and separate events or divisions for the pros who play for money.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.