[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Enforcing Little Rules, Pittsburgh Edition

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Monday, 21 February 2011, at 8:38 p.m.

Last month, I started the thread on The Little Rules Matter. I went to the Pittsburgh tournament determined to do better with enforcing these rules. In particular, I was absolutely determined to not allow any shenanigans whatsoever in SpeedGammon.

Some of the rules I am trying to enforce more diligently:

• No handling of dice or checkers when it's not your turn. There are several implications of this rule:
    • When I win the opening roll, my opponent should not pick up his die until I complete my turn.
    • In a clocked match, my opponent should not pick up the dice until I hit my clock.
    • My opponent should never pick up his own blots that I am about to hit.
  • One hand only, for checker movement and clock hitting
  • Shake the dice. It seems to be common to not shake the die on the opening roll. The rule applies there too.

The results of Enforcing Little Rules are good, but not great. They're good in that I feel like I managed to politely but firmly stand up for my rights in circumstances where in the past, I would have just "let it go". There were never any hard feelings -- one opponent, after hearing Jeb Horton carefully explain the "two hand rule" said, "Well, if that's the rule, then that's the rule," and then said to me, "I'll try, OK?" He did try, and succeeded.

They're not great in that I didn't stop everything I should have. This is my fault, and I'm going to try to do better next time.

Most of all, I'm pleased that I managed to do it all with no acrimony whatsoever. We're dealing with old habits, and they die hard. If nobody else joins me, that's fine, but I'm on a one man crusade to change the backgammon world.

Finally, I'd like to, for the umpteenth time, campaign for a change in the USA Clock Rules to have a real penalty for premature dice pickup, such as is done in Europe (Denmark?). 30 second penalty from your reserve time on the clock. The USA penalty is too light (you lose your delay time on your following roll). 30 seconds is usually not a big deal, but I'll feel better knowing that there is SOME real penalty for violating the rules. Actually, I'd love a 30 second penalty for violating ANY of the rules I mentioned above. I'm perfectly willing to allow for warnings and concessions for not having a first (or even second) infraction cause a time forfeit.

JLee

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.