[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

This month's Chicago Point - Legal Moves Rule

Posted By: Stick
Date: Saturday, 5 March 2011, at 10:15 p.m.

Bill Davis again uses the entire front page of his newsletter and 2/3rd of another page to take on what he sees as a controversial subject. The subject at hand, the legal moves rule. Again I wish I could share the entire article with everyone here because I'd like to dissect more than bits and pieces of it as I'm going to do but since it's a pay newsletter, which I recommend you subscribe to btw, I will not include much content from the article. I still feel these sorts of articles shouldn't go unanswered so I post.

As a side note to Bill and others who do get the newsletter, the figures of 96%/96% in the first diagram would be more accurate as 97%/97% but that's just me being picky.

One argument put forth against legal moves is that concentration, or a clear head, is part of the game and since the majority of people won't 'out skill' the majority of players who are willing to play legal moves (there are a lot of top players behind it, Neil, Joe Russell, Mary Hickey, Richard Munitz, MCG, myself, etc...) taking away the allowing illegal moves aspect to stand hurts their chances. How should I put this...are you fuckin' kidding me? Do you really think random player YOU is more likely to benefit from playing under the current ABT rules, allowing illegal moves to stand, than these players? It is much more likely that random player will make more illegal moves than these people and a top player would know better when to make an illegal play stand and when to have it replayed.

Another statement I take issue with and I believe most who play legal moves will, you can speak for yourselves, is "Most legal eagles will only play legal moves with individuals they trust". This is not true in the least as far as I'm concerned. I will play legal moves with anyone who asks me to before a match, whether I even know the person or not.

Bill later brings into question the legality of agreeing to play legal moves and ends up in some twisted way comparing it to a form of collusion. He ends up using the argument that we, the legal moves players, are also hurting the calcutta owners. This is always a tough shit situation. Know what you're paying for and get over it. If you bought Stick in the calcutta you know if Stick is playing a guy who makes countless illegal moves, tries to resign the match, thinks he's playing to the wrong score, etc... Stick is going to correct him and not just say 'Thanks' and pocket the win.

Joe Russell bought me in the calcutta once last year, I forget what tournament, probably Vegas but I lost in the first round and could rebuy. If I rebought I had to play again immediately and I didn't feel like playing. I've said it before, sometimes losing sickens me so much I don't even want to play anymore. I didn't rebuy and Joe thought I was crazy to say the least. I was there, it was obviously positive equity if I rebuy, why wouldn't I rebuy!? My sanity and overall happiness is worth more than that scrap of equity both for him and myself. You can buy me in the calcutta but if I decide I want to drop out of the entire event because of some reason that I may not even share with you that's the way it is. I've never not shown up for any round in any tournament I've ever entered, including the way too early in the morning Sunday last chance, but if I decided to the last thing I would want to hear is my calcutta owner bitch about it because it's not going to change a thing. You can ask Joe, he quickly realized there was no hope in me playing.

Done sidetracking ... back to one last point. We have often heard that if the WBA rule of:

4.2.3 Checkers and Moves. Illegal Moves.
    1. If an illegal move is noticed before the opponent has rolled his dice it must be corrected. Only the two players and tournament officials are allowed to point out an illegal move.

People say well, what stops my opponent from not pointing out my illegal move? Nothing other than following the rules. What people also seem to overlook is that if the other player is going to try to cheat you and not point out your illegal move unless it benefits them they have to figure it out in an instant. They can't sit there and stare at the board/position, your opponent will see that weird look on your face and realize he made an illegal move and call it on himself and correct it. At this point if they're not a dimwit they will also realize what scummy thing you were trying to pull off and likely stab you.

I would like to blast on more of this article but again, I don't want to give much of Bill's newsletter away so I'll cut it off there. Sometimes I hope Bill doesn't believe a lot of what he writes and does it to play devil's advocate and maybe promote his newsletter. I hope that's the case but I doubt it...

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.