[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

CSI

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Monday, 7 March 2011, at 4:59 a.m.

Despite it being a total wipeout weekend of playing for me, the CSI was another enjoyable event. The dress code was unique and generally observed -- to the extreme with the occasional tux.

Congrats to Neil and CJC for making the final and Neil squeaking a close win in a good match -- CJC led 13-12/15 and got gammoned on a 2-cube. I did record the match so it will be available (I assume, provided Neil and CJC both bless the release) in the not too distant future. I hope to have it entered and forwarded to the two players in the next couple of days.

Unfortunately, Neil's semi-final match with Frank DiMaggion was not recorded. I told Neil I thought it "A Tale of Two Cities" match -- "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times". With Neil leading 10-7/13, holding a two cube, Frank ran early with his last checker to avoid the match-losing gammon -- effectively (we all thought) conceding the game. Some great rolls by him and horrible rolls by Neil led to a race win for Frank -- 10-9/13, Neil. Then at 11-9 Neil looked to be gammoned for the match on a 2-cube with a 4-checker ace game. A 6-1, 6-2, 6-6 sequence saved him. Then, at DMP, the game went back and forth before becoming a simple bear-off with Neil leading. Frank rolled 5-5 with about three rolls to go to seize the lead. Neil rolled average thereafter while Frank rolled two consecutive 1-*'s. That left Neil with checkers on the 1 and 2 and Frank on his 2 and 4, on roll. Yet another 1-* followed for Neil to win and advance.

Ray took two brutal match losses, back to back, without a word -- other than to remind a jubilant Herb Roman to shake his hand. It would have been hard for many of us to stomach speechlessly, so I applaud Ray for his demeanor. He led Herb 3-0/9 and held a 4-cube. Ray had three checkers left -- on 2, 3, and 4. Herb had four checkers left -- one on 1, three on 3. Ray recubed to 8. Herb agonized for at least ten minutes before taking. Ray took two off, Herb re-shipped to 16 and rolled 5-5 for the match.

The next match was Ray vs. UBK, and I only saw the last game. But Ray led 5-1/7 and, reportedly, UBK won a couple of very long shot racing games to get to DMP. Then all goes UBK's way w/ Ray w/ a couple in the air and mediocre board. UBK has to leave a blot on the 3 w/ 4 off -- all others on 1 and 2. Ray hit, UBK fans, Ray consolidates board, UBK escapes w/ 2-6 from the bar, Ray misses double shot plus an indirect. UBK has to leave another single shot on his 5 and Ray hits again. This time he closes UBK out. Then Ray with one off and 3 on the 4, 2 on the 5, and 2 on the 6 rolls 4-4. Ray clears 5 and 6, UBK rolls immediate 6-6. He adds another doublet for good measure and Ray sustains the second consecutive tough match loss.

Big congrats to Frank Dimaggio. I don't know the gent but he lost the main semi-final to Neil by not clearing two checkers from 2 and 4 on last roll. He was also playing Yuri Millman (sp?) in the Masters Final. So, great weekend of play by Frank.

Another BGO poster who lives in Chicago area couldn't play in the tourney but came by Saturday afternoon and evening just to meet the BGO posters he reads all of the time here. Was very nice for me to meet, again, Stanley Richards and to be able to introduce him to many players -- Phil, Neil, Carter, David R., Rory, Rob, and others. He joined a number of us for a nice dinner in the area. Hopefully, he'll come back and perhaps play in the Memorial Day tourney in Chicago.

Overall, another good tourney and enjoyable weekend.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.