[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Live Tournament Observations

Posted By: Stanley E. Richards
Date: Monday, 7 March 2011, at 5:22 a.m.

As a strictly online player, it is fun to experience the camaraderie of live tournament play. I have only played in two live tournaments (two fine Bill Davis’ tourneys). This weekend in Chicago, I listened to players who explained that the social aspect of backgammon is its greatest benefit. I suspected that this must be true because of the games offered at backgammon tournaments. Previously, I stated that the backgammon games at tournaments were not very interesting to me. Doubles, Battle of the Sexes, and various divisions turn off a competitive real money online player like me. However, these types of events are excellent social events.

I had the opportunity to dine with excellent players whose posts have been educational. I have been a serious backgammon player for 8 years, but my lack of live play has limited my knowledge. I decided to not hide my gross ignorance due to my online player status. I asked, “What is a chouette?” Everybody at the table gasped, “Whoa!!” Later that evening I watched a chouette and understood the rules. Chouettes are perhaps the best game for social interaction between enthusiastic backgammon players.

Now during this $10 per point chouette, the following position occurred.

is Player 2

score: 0
pip: 43
Money session
Jacoby Beaver
pip: 84
score: 0

is Player 1
XGID=aBBBBBC---------A---A-ccc-:1:1:1:00:0:0:3:0:10
on roll, cube action?

Analyzed in 3 ply
Player Winning Chances: 77.29% (G: 0.00% B: 0.00%)
Opponent Winning Chances: 22.71% (G: 0.12% B: 0.01%)
Cubeless Equities
No Redouble:+0.544
Redouble:+1.089
Cubeful Equities
No Redouble:+0.935
Redouble/Take:+0.935 (0.000)
Redouble/Drop:+1.000 (+0.065)
Best Cube action: No Redouble / Take

eXtreme Gammon Version: 1.21

Now, the technical competitive side of me was stunned. I have previously explained on this forum that my backgammon technique is to concentrate on the basics, understand concepts, and recognize patterns. The box player dropped this cube and I immediately stated, “Hey, that was a take!” There was no question in my mind. One of backgammon basics is if there is a difference of five men off and one player is closed off on the bar, then that is a Double/Take. The box player knew that it was probably a take. He explained that if his karma was so bad to allow a late hit to lose a game that he preferred to just drop. I consider his explanation and the stakes involved. I knew without a doubt that it was a take. Nevertheless, I suspected that I would drop this cube instead of risking $120 versus three opponents. The chouette’s gambling aspect would entice me to knowingly make a significant error.

If this was online gambling at any stake, I would take without delay. The difference is that with online gambling I expect to play hundreds of games in a relatively small amount of time. With the increased sample size, I know that I will be ahead if I take this cube. With entertaining, socially interactive chouettes, there will not be so many games. Thus, the law averages may not justify the take.

The purpose of this post is to ask others if they believe live backgammon gambling may lead to intentional technical errors. Also, I would like more backgammon players to play online for money. I know that you love the social interaction of live play. What could influence you to play online for real money?

Stanley

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.