[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Is it possible to play with a clock and two sets of dice?

Posted By: Rory
Date: Wednesday, 6 April 2011, at 7:08 p.m.

I know most of you probably hate the thought of this. However, this week I was asked by an "old school" player who has recently started playing more tournament Backgammon if it was possible. He and one or two of his friends will play in the Chicago Open Main Tournament and the Markowitz Masters event if I can make this accommodation. Otherwise they will not play.

Players arguement If you consider taking clocks off the Markowitz Masters or the main draw I (and 1 or 2 more) would attend. I do NOT enjoy sharing the dice with others. I can/would consider a clock event if dice did not need to be shared. I would use other persons perfect dice. It is not about using mine only rather, it is about the rhythm of the play.

I am all for clocks to speed up play. However, it should only be used for players that NEED it. In a golf tournament they only put you on the clock if you are too slow. If you are keeping pace of play you are not on a clock while playing a round of golf. It should be the same. It is about the rthym. As a quick player, it is easy to see who abuses and is a slow player. I am not against a slow decision( on a cube play or critical move) I am against slow players. It keeps me from your event potentially.

As he stated they have no objection to using a clock. They just don't want to share dice. I have discussed this already with a few of my mentors in the game and they seem to have mixed feelings. I think getting input from the BG community here will bring to light all the pros/cons.

One question that has already been asked is when would their turn be over. This would not change. When they finish their turn they would hit their clock to end their turn. But when do they pick up their dice? I would suggest that they wait for their opponent to roll and then pick up their dice. My reason for having them wait is just in case an ilegal play is made, the dice will still be on the playing surface, as is the case with one set of dice.

I am not sure I think we should make this accommodation (I have mixed feeling). But as both a Director and a Player of our great game I do not want to push people away with the use of clocks. This may be an accommodation that is reasonable and that is why I am asking the community what they think. Please let me know your thoughts. If you don't want to write a long response a simple yes to allow the accommodation or no to not allow the accommodation would be helpful. I am in search of constructive responses that will help make this decision.

Regards

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.