[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Questionable Atlanta Plays

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Tuesday, 3 May 2011, at 6:02 p.m.

1. Open Round of 8. 6-6/11, 2-cube in play. Fairly experienced Player A has a 2 pt holding game against Player B's remaining eight checkers -- two checkers on 3 pt, six checkers on 1 pt. For some unknown reason, A does not run a checker on his roll. B bears off the two checkers from the three point. A rolls 2-1, leaving his checkers on B's 2 point and 5 point. B rolls a doublet. A must clear with at least a 5-2 or lose the match on a bg. A rolls the 5-2, but loses the match on the next game. If you have two checkers back and opponent has only eight checkers left bearing off, you must treat it as a two-roll position and get one of your checkers on the move -- particularly in the face of a match losing bg.

2. DMP. A very late round Open match. Player A hits a checker after Player B has 7 checkers off. A has a 2-7 six prime with a spare on the five point. B's remaining checkers are 3 on three point and 4 on five point. B dances and A rolls 6-4. A promptly closes out his home board rather than exercising the free play (no downside) for a second checker to all but guarantee the win. A wins a very close race for the match. I am not understanding. Sure, maybe A is 85%+ (guess) after hitting the checker, but he can freely play for a second checker to push it to 95%+.

Don't know if such plays are the result of tension, fatigue, or whatever but I was very surprised to see them in such situations. I'm sure I make my share of bonehead plays and have my oversights, too; but maybe some of our readers can learn something when we share them.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.