[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

tournament rules and ethics

Posted By: falafel
Date: Tuesday, 3 May 2011, at 9:32 p.m.

afew years ago i attended anice tournament in tabilisi georgia directed by chiva. i was on the ruling committee just in case something came up.sure enough in one of the dbls matches which was played between 2 european players against arussian player and his georgian partner adispute came up.the dispute was the following:the russian player who was moving the checkers had hardly ever played tournament backgammon.the score was 6-6 to 7 and the russian georgian team had the european team closed out basically and was takin checkers off.the russian,bein the inexperienced player that he was started to bear off and placed 2 of his own checkers on the roof.after the europeans fanned the russian georgian team rolled and were looking to take off another man and clearin another point.this is when the european team stopped them and claimed ofcourse that the russian georgian team had 2 men on the roof!.naturally adispute occured and i along with chiva and mike svobodny,who was also on the ruling comittee were called to settle it.in the back of my mind i had heard some stories of such things from the past and for some reason just assumed that the ruling is quite obvious.i simply felt that this is completely unethical to call someone on sonething like this,thinkin this is just too obvious an attempt in what i would go as far as saying cheating.luckily in this case chiva simply had arule that states"fair play takes precedence" so i this case i was relieved when the decision for me was quite easy to make.afew days ago this sort of topic came up again when i was havin aconversation with some players. i was told that in the pittsburgh tournament one player used this same excuse(his opponet placed his own checker on the rook and he called him on it).so aruling was needed.this is where i was shcoked ofcourse to learn of this ruling.apparently in this tournament and some others the rule is if u placed achecker on the roof thats like yur own fault and u must pay the price for this error.needless to say this is quite emberrasssing.the ruling was in favor of the person makin the claim that the other side had achecker on roof.yes,we do have rules and regulations that are much needed,however in this case its time to say enough is enough.what kind of rule is that,let us look in the mirror and explain this.this is how all of us prefer to win or lose????? what happenes when an abeginner like the russian guy gets to lose awon match,will he play again? is this anice way to try and welcome more players to our game by being acry baby i feel like someone,in this case me had to say something because if some tournament directors havent figured it out by now perhaps after this they will! falafel

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.