[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A New Learning Technique

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Friday, 6 May 2011, at 5:23 a.m.

If you have the beta version of XG it has a built in clock. If you don't have that yet, then use an external clock. Set the timer for very quick play so that you must play at near speed-gammon pace. Then play the computer a 5 point match at a very fast pace.

Aside from the fact that this is a fun way to play and practice, there is something else that happens when you play speed gammon. You have no time to do calculations and comparisons, and of course, as a result, you are going to make quite a few more mistakes than you would under normal circumstances.

But here's the catch. When you go over the match, there are two things you can do that are extremely educational. First, every place you see that you made a mistake, WITHOUT LOOKING DOWN AT THE ANSWER see if you can come up with the right play. If you cannot, then clearly, that is a position that you need to study and spend more time on. If you can, then you have identified a position that you do not have a strong enough feel for that your "instincts" and your "gut reaction" has been honed well. So again, while it is not so severe as a position you would miss even with more time, its an area that you may not be completely comfortable with.

Of course there are complex positions that even the giants need to take some time to calculate take points, consider market losers, recube vig etc, and there are complex checker plays that require everyone to take more time. When you see one of those positions, ignore it.

This exercise is more of a test of your gut reaction than your reasoning. It will not work well for everybody, and people who always play slowly and methodically may not get any benefit from this at all. But I have tried it a few times and I have clearly identified a few, select categories of positions where I don't have a firm understanding of what's going on quickly, and now I can attack them slowly until I've got it.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.