[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

National Championships

Posted By: Bob Glass
Date: Tuesday, 7 June 2011, at 6:38 p.m.

Is the winner of the National Championships sponsored by the USBGF the US Champion? I know it's rather arbitrary but labels do matter. When you win that tournament in July in Monte Carlo, you are the World Champion of Backgammon. That carries weight even outside of the backgammon community. Imagine a conversation like this. "What are your hobbies?" "I love to play backgammon." "Oh, I play also in my spare time. Are you any good?" "Well, I'm actually the World Champion!" "Are you sh##ting me?"

I know that Chiva ran a couple tournaments entitled the US Open. It's always won by a goyle. The winner receives the title US Open Champion. If I had won it, I would have preferred to omit the word "Open". So again, I ask. Is the winner of the upcoming Thursday event in Los Angeles the US Champion. I'd really like to know. Suppose an airline wants to bump me. I can always say: "Do you know who I am? I'm the US Backgammon Champion." And they will be likely to say: "Why Mr. Glass, why didn't you say that to us in the first place? Of course you are welcome to stay on this flight. As a matter of fact, we will even upgrade you for free into first class. And the Cristal is on us." So you can see, prize matters.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.