[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My favorite

Posted By: Henrik Bukkjaer
Date: Thursday, 23 June 2011, at 7:54 p.m.

In Response To: My favorite (neilkaz)

I did the opposite of you Neil:

Some years back when DBgF was running their flagship tournament (the Carlsberg Cup freeroll), which was played as 5 weeks of cup qualifiers with master points at approx. 200 cafe's in Denmark. It attracted several thousand players and many of those were newcomers so DBgFers on one hand had to act nicely and be helpful - on the other hand, who wouldn't like win the biggest tournament and the first price of a Monte Carlo trip to WC everything paid including Championship entry fee.

So I'm sitting in the SF one week, playing a relative new player, in which I'm a strong favorite (even it's only a 5-pointer). I'm up 4-0 in the crawford game, bearing off. The position (which I can't recall exactly) comes up where my opponent would need 3 doubles, the first 5s or better, the second 4s or better and the third one could be just deuces! Meanwhile I have to roll non-doubles on both shakes. He extends his arm without saying anything, and polite as I am to this newcomer (who I had steamrolled until now) tell him that he should never give up when he still has a chance, and that in backgammon everything can happen, etc.

No need to tell you that he went on to win the game and then the match after that! Just winning the game was (if I recall correctly) a little worse than 2000 to 1! And then he still had to win from 1-4, so the entire sequence was maybe 1 in 10K....

Argh!

Now I don't refuse when people give up. But I still say "it's quicker to roll" when the opponent starts counting if the game is lost or not :-)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.